Monday, 12 November 2007

Wivey 3rds 30 North Petherton 3rds 12

Wivey 3rds arrived at this match to be greeted with the news that North Petherton 2nds had no game and that they had 27 players to contend with.

Playing up the slope in the first half Wivey had the upper hand and dominated the early stages of this game but failed to capitalise with the only score being a Ross Porter penalty. This was a mistake and when North Petherton broke away to score a Converted try to take a 7 - 3 lead, frustration grew especially on the touchline . After many vocal touchline comments, and former skipper Pete Thompson using words so long that most of the participants of this game would not understand them, the referee's patience ran out. The resulting touchline warning seems to spur Wivey on and shortly after Dave Huxtable scored our first try after some good handling. Ross Porter converted and the half time score was 10 -7.

North Petherton made wholesale changed at half time but it seemed to weaken rather than strengthen their team as the second half got underway. Wivey gained the advantage in the scrums and line out with Tommy and Benji Stevens having a outstanding game. Soon after a turnover and good passing by the three quarters Dave Huxtable went over in the corner for his second try. A Ross Porter penalty soon followed making it 18 - 7 and Wivey had a series of chances to increase their lead.Mike Phillips chased a superb kick from Ian Bristow but just failed to ground the ball after running around the North Petherton prop.This long run was too much for mike these days and he was immediately replaced by 50 year old impact substitute Keith Gosling. His introduction was immediate as he broke tackles from the half way line to find himself with no one to beat and an open tryline begging. Unfortunately though only yards from the line he tripped over his own feet reminiscent of the sniper scene in Schindler's List.

Wivey then went to sleep and North Petherton got back into this game with another try after many missed tackles. Wivey bounced back with a try from Mark Bowden putting the score at 23 - 12. Petherton finished the game strongly but after a ruck on the Wivey try line everyone seemed to want to 'exchange opinions' except Ian Bristow who picked up the ball and jogged the full length of the field to score Wivey's final try which he converted.

Great to see that Wivey comradeship there with old and new players alike. All in all an excellent result and a very satisfying afternoon.

No comments: